There’s a lot of stuff I share on the Internet every day. Here’s a round up of the things I most enjoyed last week by category.
- Things a Little Bird Told Me by Biz Stone. “Once true passion hits you, you can recognize all the times in your life when you were chasing the wrong dream. And after you’ve experienced that sustained fulfillment, you’ll never want to settle for anything less.” I loaned my copy to a friend last week with the understanding that he read it quickly and return it right away because I need to read this again at least once. This book is a thing. And I am now mad, mad crushin’ on Biz Stone.
- The crossroads of Should and Must. “When we choose Must, what we create is ourselves. It is a body of work. When we make something because we Must, not just because we can, it is the difference between disposable products that last a few years and life-affirming movements that sustain generations.” That punched me right square in the feelers.
- My friend Ron Ferrell is famous. As he should be. Ron is a regular at Sheri’s Living Room and an all-around fantastic human. Check out his piece on Mother Earth News and be sure to follow the link to his bio. There are a few videos in his bio worth watching.
- Our whole lives are relationships. Love accordingly. “You’re going to wish you had taken more holiday time to hang with them. You’re going to wish you’d stayed up later and extended your stay to ask them more questions about anything at all. You’ll wish you’d gone out dancing.”
- Mindfulness physically changes your brain. “And after a month of practicing the meditation — which comes out to about 11 hours of meditation — the researchers found that there were even more increases in brain signaling connections, as well as an increase in protective tissue (called myelin) around the axons in a part of the brain called the anterior cingulate region. The study participants also had better moods after practicing the meditation.”
- 9 private islands that cost less than an apartment in San Francisco. “South Saddle Caye off the coast of Belize has abundant coral growth along the eastern and southern shore lines and sparkling blue water, and no old naked men on street corners.”
- I spoke to a class of college kids. Again. The rundown is in the link. My most memorable moment was when I was asked for a final thought. What’s your last piece of advice, Sheri? I replied, “Fear is an illusion” and I swear they all inhaled at the same time. Then laughed or murmured to each other. WIN.
- Holy lord, Tyler Florence is dreamy. I took this photo of him with a coworker. I deserve a goddamn medal for not totally fangirling him right to his face. Look for Tucker’s Onion Burgers in the new season of Great Food Truck Race on the Food Network. Fun week at work, y’all.
- Tempest by SOHN A friend pointed me to this artist and I’m digging it a bunch. This type of music is not in my normal wheelhouse and I’m happy to be around people who can point me to fresh (to me) sounds.
- Ice Cream by Sarah McLachlan Thursday night I sat on my porch with Jack and Sara and got drunk. So did Jack. Sara didn’t, but sobriety didn’t stop her from being one of the three voices singing Ice Cream into the darkness.
- Happy by John Fullbright This is also another song off the new album, which releases next week. Which is pre-orderable on Amazon right now for $8. I was actually present for this performance. Cool.